Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Community Arts - Murals - Week 4

Hey guys,

A few weeks ago, when we we going through the images of murals on the topic of "Power, Identity, and Difference", there began an internal process of viewing art beyond its aesthetic value. As I label myself as "less artsy" and "less artistic", I was trying to see one's own individual uniqueness as value in of itself. Later that day, I had an urge to walk the streets of Toronto, and from the impact of the lecture, saw two murals.


 The first location is the under-bridge by Queen's Park that connects to the U ofT campus.
 

  The second mural I stumbled upon was just north of Beverly St and Dundas, 
(I believe it was on a public school.)


The additional images are from my trips to Montreal, whereby before taking this course, was always drawn by murals in general. So it is cool how I am starting to build connections with my own experiences in relation to my surrounding environment. [this class kinda ROCKS, don't you think?] Enjoy!!

P.S. Can you draw upon some course themes from any of the murals. What stories do you think each individual artist was trying to re-tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment